Hey everyone, amidst all the malwares breaching systems and cunning phishing pages and data breaches, the need for has become even greater. I believe that everyone should learn a little bit about computer security and hacking and this post lists some courses offered by universities to teach hacking and computer security. I believe that everyone should take a look at either the slides of these courses or the videos (if available).
A list of Cyber Security Courses offered by Various Universities
Lets first take a look at a few MOOCs that are being offered by universities.
- Cyber security by futurelearn is a great mooc which is offered by Deakin University.
- Cybersecurity micro masters degree via RIT on Edx is a great way to learn about cyber security. It consists of several courses and you can audit all of them for free.
- Cyber security specialization by University of Maryland is also a great specialization to do. One can audit the courses for free.
- Computer Systems Security is a class by MIT which is a bit advanced. But the videos are great and the instructors are top notch.
These are some of the MOOCs that I have found to be good. I encourage everyone to take atleast one of these courses to get to understand about all the stuff happening now a days.
Lets take a look at some courses taught at universities to their students. Most of these courses have their slides available as well as the projects and homeworks. Reading the slides and getting your hands dirty on a project/lab can be a great way to get into cyber security.
- Introduction to Computer Security by University of Michigan. I love this course. Period. This course takes you from a beginner level to an intermediate level and is very well structured. There are a lot of homeworks and projects and you really learn a lot.
- Computer Systems Security by Brown University is another great course although a bit advanced.
- Internet Security by Berkeley is another great course but it is bit advanced.
- Introduction to Computer Security by CMU is another good course for beginners.
- Computer and Network Security by Stanford is a great course. This is a well structured course and is offered every year at stanford. The projects and homeworks are very good.
- Introduction to Computer Security by University of Texas is another comprehensive and intro level course.
These are some of the courses that I have found to be good. There are many more but these are enough for someone to get into cyber security or go from a beginner level to an intermediate level.
If you know of another great course, feel free to add a comment on this post, I will add it in the above list.